Tithing your time? How silly!

I dare say unequivocally that the concept of Christianity seems completely lost to many and rather than look to God to gain more insight, they make up their own doctrines as they go along. Where is it written in the bible that you can give a portion of your time to God. Who told you your time was yours to apportion as you wish in the first place?

During the biblical times people were allowed to keep slaves.  And once bought, a slave became the property of his master. His time and his whole life were spent doing his master’s will. His time was his master’s,  everything he owned was his master’s and as such it was completely absurd for the slave to think that he was fulfilling his master’s will by dedicating part of his time or money to his master.

Scripture makes us understand that we are now slaves of Christ as we have been paid for by His blood. As such our lives are no longer ours and everything we own are not ours either: they all belong to Christ! If this is the case, how possible is it to tithe your time? Shouldn’t all of your time be God centred? So if you give God 10% of your time, how do you spend the remaining 90%?

There is no such thing as tithing your time; God should be seen in every endeavour you engage in 24 hours of the day. Hence scriptures tell us that everything we do should be done unto the Lord. Unfortunately, the lure of filling the pews every Sunday is so difficult to resist that preachers invent these clever doctrines. So in the minds of many, giving your time to God means volunteering in “church” or God’s house while to others taking time out to promote your local assembly is actually tithing your time. How unscriptural!

God’s house is not a building but the assembly of God’s people is. And your entire life should be spent doing what God expects from you and not doing what you think is noble or right.

Don’t delude yourself into thinking God wants 10% of your time, He already owns you and as such all of your time.

Advertisements

6 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. Cher
    Aug 02, 2011 @ 15:29:22

    I absolutely love what you’re saying here…and I love the down right honesty! I totally agree with you on this, and hate the excuses given as people only give their time by going to church or other ways you talked about. I mean, the first sentence says it all, “I dare say unequivocally that the concept of Christianity seems completely lost to many and rather than look to God to gain more insight, they make up their own doctrines as they go along.” This truly irks me to the core! And people tell themselves these false doctrines so much, that any conviction they may have had in the beginning starts to fade after awhile, and they just feel judged if a comment is made otherwise about their belief. It’s sad really.
    But, I’m glad you wrote about this…kudos to you!

    Reply

    • eliteinchrist
      Aug 02, 2011 @ 15:49:30

      Hi Cher,

      Thanks for stopping by. Am glad you found this helpful and like you said this trend is truly said.

      May the good Lord continue to strengthen his church, amen.

      – Tony

      Reply

  2. Gary Arnold
    Aug 02, 2011 @ 17:23:52

    Good article. The same applies to tithing money. That also is not scriptural. Tithing from one’s income is not scriptural. Man teaches a whole lot of non-scriptural doctrine in the church.

    Reply

    • eliteinchrist
      Aug 02, 2011 @ 19:33:46

      Thanks Gary. I was getting tired of sounding like a broken record hence I did not even bother to mention tithing of money. OF course the doctrine of tithing money is ridiculous!

      Reply

  3. Trackback: Tithing your time? How silly! (via Eliteinchrist’s Blog) « cherlock
  4. EH
    Oct 05, 2011 @ 14:09:38

    This is a serious matter. I think today’s church is sliding into idol worship without knowing. That is why you find weak believers everywhere. It is very sad. Truth is what will set free.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: